This page has moved to a new address.

Reader Project - Monique's Magical Felt Mushroom House

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration: Reader Project - Monique's Magical Felt Mushroom House

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration

Wednesday 26 October 2011

Reader Project - Monique's Magical Felt Mushroom House

I was really excited to see this project from friend and blog reader Monique in my inbox this week. Monique, who I originally met as a customer in my store, was inspired to start needle felting after she saw this post about my needle felting obsession way back when. After making some small bits and pieces to perfect her technique, she was inspired to tackle something bigger.

And look at how magnificently her Magical Mushroom House has turned out.
I asked her some questions about some of the materials and techniques she used, and she was kind enough to let me share her answers with you.
I know you needle felted the top/roof but did you stuff it with anything?
Yes, the top is needle felted but I didn't stuff it with anything but lots and lots of felt (wool roving). I started with a circle base and basically just built it up from there adding more to the middle than the sides.

What kind of felt did you use for the sides?
The felt for the sides was a 5 mm industrial felt. there is a place in Blackburn and also in Huntingdale (both Melbourne suburbs) that sells all types of felt.

Who made the door and floor for you?
I actually made the door and floor. I drew it out on the thinnest ply and got my brother to jigsaw it out. Then varnished it and used hinges from spotlight and a button for the handle.

How did you stick the the wood to the felt?
Lastly, I stuck the wood to the felt using a hot glue gun, but the base I drilled little holes into and actually sewed the base to the felt.

How long did it take you?
It has been on my table for 2 months but only did a little bit every few days. usually tried to do one thing at a time eg: blanket stitch the top, make the door, etc

What next?
I won't be making another one any time soon but may be thinking about making some little people but no ideas are coming to mind as yet. Will have to do some internet surfing.

I think you will all agree that Monique has done an incredible job and is very generous to share some of her photos and information will us all.

If you want to try your hand at Needle felting, my post on Needle Felting Basics will be very helpful.

I would love to see pictures of projects that you've made using My Poppet tutorials. Why not post them to the My Poppet facebook page with a link to the relevant tutorial so others may be inspired too.

Labels: , ,