This page has moved to a new address.

Retro Christmas...

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration: Retro Christmas...

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration

Monday 15 November 2010

Retro Christmas...

I was so excited when my fun Retro Stockings were featured on The Design Files today. I made them as a bit of a refreshing alternative to the masses of traditional red and green that we get bombarded with at this time of year. These little kids are just so sweet, the little boy on the bottom right reminds me of Emma for some reason, maybe its the hair.

I made Emma one too, this will be the first time I've ever had a Christmas stocking in my home. Never had one as a child, we celebrate the Argentinean way and enjoy a big meal on Christmas Eve with the presents all waiting under the tree to be opened at midnight. When you're a kid that wait till midnight is a killer. Santa was just a jolly man you were photographed with at the local shopping centre, he never really came to our house. Once or twice he left a sack outside the back door, but my sister and I were always suspicious.

In Spain and Argentina (and some other part of South America) the real pressie surprises are delivered by the Three Wise men on the 6th of January - The Epiphany, when biblically the wise men visited and delivered gifts to the baby Jesus.
My sister and I would polish our best pair of shoes and leave them out on the Eve of the 6th, then in the morning there would be presents.
I remember one year my sister wanted a My Little Pony and threw a tantrum when she got something else, a few minutes later 'magically' $7 was found under her shoe. Crisis averted!

Anyway, my point is that Emma will probably grow up with a hybrid of Christmas traditions, Christmas Eve and Christmas day, Stockings and Shoes. Lucky her...

Does your family celebrate this festive season in a slightly different way?

Labels: , ,